I wanted to share the goals I have in my family history search and be able to report on each item once I’ve actually accomplished it.
- Enter all “loose” data into my Family Tree Maker program. I have lots of newspaper clippings, genealogical letters and other documents that need to be organized and transcribed.
- Scan all the old photos, slides, documents, and letters in my possession.
- Copy said scans on a flash drive or CD and keep separately from my other items (just in case!)
- File and organize all the genealogy files I have so I can find things quicker.
- Realize what I can keep and what I can’t keep and purge as needed (are those old printouts more up to date then when I printed them 10 years ago?).
- Check sources for accuracy.
Mainly I need to get more organized this year. What are your genealogy goals? Perhaps visit cemeteries, court houses, the Local Family History Center or Library, go on a genealogy “tour”, go through all the old photo albums, take down some oral histories?